Last Updated: August 6th, 2021
This Privacy Notice describes how we collect and use your personal information in relation to configure8, Inc. (“configure8”) websites, applications, products, services, events, and experiences that reference this Privacy Notice (together, “c8 Offerings”).
This Privacy Notice does not apply to the “content” processed, stored, or hosted by our customers using c8 Offerings in connection with a c8 account. See the agreement governing your access to your c8 account for more information about how we handle content and how our customers can control their content through c8 Offerings. This Privacy Notice also does not apply to any products, services, websites, or content that are offered by third parties or have their own privacy notice.
Personal Information We Collect
We collect your personal information in the course of providing c8 Offerings to you.
Here are the types of information we gather:
- Information You Give Us: We collect any information you provide in relation to c8 Offerings. Click here to see examples of information you give us.
- Automatic Information: We automatically collect certain types of information when you interact with c8 Offerings. Click here to see examples of information we collect automatically.
- Information from Other Sources: We might collect information about you from other sources, including other services you link to your c8 Offerings, service providers, partners, and publicly available sources. Click here to see examples of information we collect from other sources.
How We Use Personal Information
We use your personal information to operate, provide, and improve c8 Offerings. Our purposes for using personal information include:
- Provide c8 Offerings: We use your personal information to provide and deliver c8 Offerings and process transactions related to c8 Offerings, including registrations, subscriptions, purchases, and payments.
- Measure, Support, and Improve c8 Offerings: We use your personal information to measure use of, analyze performance of, fix errors in, provide support for, improve, and develop c8 Offerings.
- Personalization: We use your personal information to identify your preferences and personalize your experience with c8 Offerings.
- Comply with Legal Obligations: In certain cases, we have a legal obligation to collect, use, or retain your personal information. For example, we collect bank account information from c8 Marketplace sellers for identity verification.
- Communicate with You: We use your personal information to communicate with you in relation to c8 Offerings via different channels (e.g., by phone, email, chat) and to respond to your requests.
- Marketing: We use your personal information to market and promote c8 Offerings. We might display interest-based ads for c8 Offerings on third-party websites, applications, social networks and other media.
- Fraud and Abuse Prevention and Credit Risks: We use your personal information to prevent and detect fraud and abuse in order to protect the security of our customers, configure8, and others. We may also use scoring methods to assess and manage credit risks.
- Purposes for Which We Seek Your Consent: We may also ask for your consent to use your personal information for a specific purpose that we communicate to you.
How We Share Personal Information
configure8 makes productivity software, and we want this software to work well for you. This means sharing information through the c8 Offerings and with certain third parties. Information about our customers is an important part of our business and we are not in the business of selling our customers’ personal information to others. We share personal information only as described below.
- Collaborating with other users within your company or team’s account: You or your administrator (if applicable) can create content, which may contain information about you, and grant permission to others to see, share, edit, copy and download that content based on settings you or your administrator (if applicable) select. Some of the collaboration features of the c8 Offerings display some or all of your profile information to other c8 Offerings users invited to your account by you or your administrator, as the case may be, when you share or interact with specific content. For example, when you publish a new microservice, we may display your profile picture, name and contact information next to your service when a user on your team or inside your company, as the case may be, enters the service detail page for that certain microservice you created.
- Managed accounts and administrators: If you register or access the c8 Offerings using an email address with a domain that is owned by your employer or organization, and such organization wishes to establish an account or site, certain information about you including your name, profile picture, contact info, content and past use of your account may become accessible to that organization’s administrator and other c8 Offerings users sharing the same domain. If you are an administrator for a particular site or group of users within the c8 Offerings, we may share your contact information with current or past users of the c8 Offerings for the purpose of facilitating service-related requests.
- Community Forums: Our websites offer publicly accessible blogs, forums, and issue trackers. You should be aware that any information you provide on these websites - including profile information associated with the account you use to post the information - may be read, collected, and used by any member of the public who accesses these websites. Your posts and certain profile information may remain even after you terminate your account. We urge you to consider the sensitivity of any information you input into these c8 Offerings. To request removal of your information from publicly accessible websites operated by us, please contact us as provided below. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to and why.
- Third-Party Service Providers: We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include: sending communications, processing payments, assessing credit and compliance risks, analyzing data, providing marketing and sales assistance (including advertising and event management as well as serving as a sales channel), conducting customer relationship management, and providing training, consulting, and technical services related to software development tasks as well as delivering and implementing the c8 Offerings. These third party service providers have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes. Further, they must process that information in accordance with this Privacy Notice and as permitted by applicable data protection law.
- Transactions Involving Third Parties: We make available to you services, software, and content provided by third parties for use on or through c8 Offerings. You can tell when a third party is involved in your transactions, and we share information related to those transactions with that third party. For example, you can order services, software, and content from sellers using the c8 Marketplace and we provide those sellers information to facilitate your subscription, purchases, or support.
- Publicity: Unless otherwise specified, we may use your name, logo and marks (including marks on Customer Properties) to identify you as a configure8 customer on configure8’s website and other marketing materials. With your consent, we may post your name alongside a personal testimonial you elect to provide us on our public websites.
- Protection of Us and Others: We release account and other personal information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, including to meet national security requirements, to enforce or apply our terms and other agreements, or protect the rights, property, or security of configure8, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud prevention and detection and credit risk reduction.
- At Your Option: Other than as set out above, you will receive notice when personal information about you might be shared with third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to share the information.
Location of Personal Information
configure8, Inc. is located in the United States. Depending on the scope of your interactions with c8 Offerings, your personal information may be stored in or accessed from multiple countries, including the United States. Whenever we transfer personal information to other jurisdictions, we will ensure that the information is transferred in accordance with this Privacy Notice and as permitted by applicable data protection laws.
How We Secure Information
At configure8, security is our highest priority. We design our systems with your security and privacy in mind.
- We maintain compliance programs that validate our security controls.
- We protect the security of your information during transmission to or from our websites, applications, products, or services by using encryption protocols and software.
- We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards in connection with the collection, storage, and disclosure of personal information. Our security procedures mean that we may request proof of identity before we disclose personal information to you.
Access and Choice
You can view, update, and delete certain information about your account and your interactions with c8 Offerings. If you cannot access or update your information yourself, you can always contact us for assistance.
You have choices about the collection and use of your personal information. Many c8 Offerings include settings that provide you with options as to how your information is being used. You can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not be able to take advantage of certain c8 Offerings.
- Account Information: If you want to add, update, or delete information related to your account, please go to your settings page. When you update or delete any information, we usually keep a copy of the prior version for our records.
- Communications: If you do not want to receive promotional messages from us, please unsubscribe.
- Online Advertising, Browser and Devices: The Help feature on most browsers and devices will tell you how to prevent your browser or device from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to delete and disable cookies and/or disable in-app advertising identifiers altogether.
- Sellers and Partners: Sellers and c8 Partner Network members can add, update, or delete information in the c8 Marketplace and c8 Partner Network portal, respectively.
Children’s Personal Information
We don’t provide c8 Offerings for purchase by children. If you’re under 18, you may use c8 Offerings only with the involvement of a parent or guardian.
Retention of Personal Information
We keep your personal information to enable your continued use of c8 Offerings, for as long as it is required in order to fulfill the relevant purposes described in this Privacy Notice, as may be required by law (including for tax and accounting purposes), or as otherwise communicated to you. How long we retain specific personal information varies depending on the purpose for its use, and we will delete your personal information in accordance with applicable law.
Contacts, Notices, and Revisions
If you have any concern about privacy at configure8 or want to contact our data controller, please contact us at email@example.com with a thorough description, and we will try to resolve the issue for you. You may also contact us at configure8, Inc. 1390 Chain Bridge Rd PMB 50017 McLean, VA 22101.
If you interact with c8 Offerings on behalf of or through your organization, then your personal information may also be subject to your organization’s privacy practices, and you should direct privacy inquiries to your organization.
Our business changes constantly, and our Privacy Notice may also change. You should check our website frequently to see recent changes. You can see the date on which the latest version of this Privacy Notice was posted. Unless stated otherwise, our current Privacy Notice applies to all personal information we have about you and your account. We stand behind the promises we make, however, and will never materially change our policies and practices to make them less protective of personal information collected in the past without informing affected customers and giving them a choice.
Additional Information for Certain Jurisdictions
Our servers are located in the U.S. If you are located outside of the U.S., please be aware that any information provided to us, including personal information, will be transferred from your country of origin to the U.S. configure8 transfers and processes data, including the data transfers under the UK and EU GDPR, and in accordance with additional applicable laws and regulations.
We provide additional information about the privacy, collection, and use of personal information of prospective and current customers of c8 Offerings located in certain jurisdictions.
California and the European Economic Area
configure8 offers data protection terms pursuant to the European Economic Area and UK General Data Protection Regulations (the “GDPR”) and the same terms under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA). Your rights under the GDPR and CCPA are described below. Please note that configure8 does not rent or sell any personal information.
For general data protection regulation purposes, the “Data Controller” means the organization who decides the purposes for which, and the way in which, any personal information is processed. You, our customer, are the Data Controller.
A “Data Processor” is an organization which processes personal information for a Data Controller. We are the Data Processor for you, our customer. As a Data Processor, we are bound by the requirements of the GDPR and CCPA.
Data processing is any operation or set of operations (whether automated or not) performed upon personal information. Examples of data processing include: collection, recording, organizing, structuring, storing, adapting, altering, retrieving, consulting, using, disclosing by transmission, disseminating or making available, aligning or combining, restricting, erasure or destruction.
We process your personal information on one or more of the following legal bases:
- as necessary to enter into a contract with you or a legal entity you represent, to perform our contractual obligations, to provide c8 Offerings, to respond to requests from you, or to provide customer support;
- where we have a legitimate interest, as described in this Privacy Notice (see How We Use Personal Information above);
- as necessary to comply with relevant law and legal obligations, including to respond to lawful requests and orders; or
- with your consent.
Your Rights. Subject to applicable law, you have the right to:
- ask whether we hold personal information about you and request copies of such personal information and information about how it is processed;
- request that inaccurate personal information is corrected;
- request deletion of personal information that is no longer necessary for the purposes underlying the processing, processed based on withdrawn consent, or processed in non-compliance with applicable legal requirements;
- request us to restrict the processing of personal information where the processing is inappropriate;
- If you are under 18 years of age, reside in California, and have a registered account with our Sites, you have the right to request removal of unwanted data that you publicly post on our Sites. To request removal of such data, please contact us using the contact information provided below, and include the email address associated with your account and a statement that you reside in California. We will make sure the data is not publicly displayed on our Websites, but please be aware that the data may not be completely or comprehensively removed from our systems due to legal and regulatory requirements;
- object to the processing of personal information; and
- request portability of personal information that you have provided to us (which does not include information derived from the collected information), where the processing of such personal information is based on consent or a contract with you and is carried out by automated means.
In support of these rights, you may exercise any of the above rights, with respect to your personal information. You may update, correct, or delete your personal information; if you wish to delete or suspend your account, please note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. If you have become aware that an account has been created about you without your knowledge or consent, you may contact us to request deletion of that said account. If you wish to do any of these things, email firstname.lastname@example.org. For your protection, we may only respond with the personal information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will respond to your request within 30 days. If you do not receive a timely acknowledgement of your complaint, or if your complaint is not addressed by us, you may contact your local data protection authority for assistance.
When you consent to our processing your personal information for a specified purpose, you may withdraw your consent at any time, and we will stop any further processing of your data for that purpose.
Examples of Information Collected
Information You Give Us
You provide information to us when you:
- search for, subscribe to, or purchase c8 Offerings;
- create or administer your c8 account (and you might have more than one account if you have used more than one email address when using c8 Offerings);
- configure your settings for, provide data access permissions for, or otherwise interact with c8 Offerings;
- register for or attend an c8 event;
- purchase or use content, products, or services from third-party providers through the c8 Marketplace (or other similar venues operated or provided by us);
- offer your content, products, or services on or through the c8 Marketplace (or other similar venues operated or provided by us);
- communicate with us by phone, email, or otherwise;
- complete a questionnaire, a support ticket, or other information request forms;
- post on c8 websites or participate in community features; and
- employ notification services.
Depending on your use of c8 Offerings, you might supply us with such information as:
- your name, email address, physical address, phone number, and other similar contact information;
- payment information, including credit card and bank account information;
- information about your location;
- information about your organization and your contacts, such as colleagues or people within your organization;
- usernames, aliases, roles, and other authentication and security credential information;
- content of feedback, testimonials, inquiries, support tickets, and any phone conversations, chat sessions and emails with or to us;
- your image (still and video), voice, and other identifiers that are personal to you when you attend an c8 event or use certain c8 Offerings;
- information regarding identity, including government-issued identification information;
- corporate and financial information; and
- VAT numbers and other tax identifiers.
We collect information automatically when you:
- visit, interact with, or use c8 Offerings (including when you use your computer or other device to interact with c8 Offerings);
- download content from us;
- open emails or click on links in emails from us;
- engage with online advertising we may run on third-party networks; a
- interact or communicate with us (such as when you attend a c8 event or when you request customer support).
Examples of the information we automatically collect include:
- network and connection information, such as the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer or other device to the Internet and information about your Internet service provider;
- computer and device information, such as device, application, or browser type and version, browser plug-in type and version, operating system, or time zone setting;
- the location of your device or computer;
- authentication and security credential information;
- c8 Offerings metrics we collect and store when using a c8 Offering deployed in your environment, such as offering usage, information about your login event, engagement with specific features, search keywords, support requests, occurrences of technical errors, diagnostic reports, your settings preferences, backup information, API calls, and other logs;
- Additional c8 Offerings metrics we collect and store if you use the c8 Cloud Edition Offering include but may not be limited to all of the information above plus mappings between assets such as databases and infrastructure, how you organize your infrastructure (i.e. a production environment, a Q/A environment, etc.), statistics associated with your repositories, infrastructure and pipelines, logs, certain infrastructure provider and/or tool login credentials you choose to share with us, information about each user and their role in an organization (i.e. photo, title, email, name, team, organizational membership), locations of your logs, infrastructure monitoring activity, documentation repositories or content on the other end of any Uniform Resource Locators (URLs) you provide us, such as a wiki, Confluence, Sharepoint, etc., and your notification preferences like email address, Slack, Jira, etc.;
- the full URL clickstream to, through, and from our website (including date and time) and c8 Offerings, content you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, and page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs);
- names, email addresses and phone numbers used to contact us or that you provided to us via third-party online advertisements; and
- identifiers and information contained in cookies (see our Cookie Notice).
Information from Other Sources
Examples of information we receive from other sources include:
- account information, such as an email and role designation, when other users of the c8 Offerings provide information about you when submitting content (i.e., if you are designated as a billing or technical contact for your company’s account; if you listed as someone who maintains a service inside your company’s account)
- marketing, sales generation, and recruitment information, including your name, email address, physical address, phone number, and other similar contact information;
- subscription, purchase, support, or other information about your interactions with products and services offered by us, our affiliates, or third parties (such as products offered through the c8 Marketplace, via channel partners and resellers we may work with, and/or consulting, implementation, training and related partners) in relation to c8 Offerings;
- search results and links, including paid listings; and
- credit history information from credit bureaus.
Information You Can Access
Examples of information you can access through c8 Offerings include:
- your name, email address, physical address, phone number, and other similar contact information;
- usernames, aliases, roles, and other authentication and security credential information;
- your subscription, purchase, usage, billing, and payment history;
- payment settings, such as payment instrument information and billing preferences;
- tax information;
- email communication and notification settings; and
- if you participate in the c8 Marketplace or c8 Partner Network (or other similar venues operated or provided by us), your account, your status, subscriptions, and other information.
Customers can access the information above through c8 Offerings.
We also provide the ability to submit job applications to our open job listings. To appropriately respond to your application, we need to collect and process your provided personal information, which may also be carried out electronically. If we begin an employment contract with you, your submitted application data will be stored for the purpose of processing the employment relationship in compliance with legal requirements. We maintain your personal information for the period of time necessary to carry out our legitimate business interests and according to applicable laws. For information about specific retention periods, please contact us at email@example.com.